[dm-crypt] aes-xts-plain with aes_x86_64 makes my SSD 5x slower than my encrypted HD

Heinz Diehl htd at fancy-poultry.org
Sun Jul 22 22:22:13 CEST 2012

On 22.07.2012, Marc MERLIN wrote:

>  Timing buffered disk reads:  70 MB in  3.06 seconds =  22.91 MB/sec <<<<

I don't know why reading speed is that slow in your case, especially
as you are using AES-NI, which should give you the highest speed
available. Maybe others here on the list have a suggestion. Probably,
you should provide some more information.

Otherwise, on the newer Intel i3/i5/i7, twofish-3way is faster than
AES. You could try to re-format your drive with twofish-xts-plain64
and adding twofish_common, twofish_x86_64 and twofish_x86_64_3way to
your initram (as long as your kernel is built with these enabled).