[dm-crypt] aes-xts-plain with aes_x86_64 makes my SSD 5x slower than my encrypted HD

Heinz Diehl htd at fancy-poultry.org
Tue Jul 24 16:06:49 CEST 2012

On 23.07.2012, Milan Broz wrote:

> I do not like this dmcrypt mode a we tried to fix it. There is a bunch of patches
> from Mikulas Patocka which switches parallelization to use all available
> cpus (if not limited by paramater).
> In my tests it improved performance in some cases but not in all situations
> (there were some slow downs which scares me).
> (You can see patches here http://people.redhat.com/mpatocka/patches/kernel/dm-crypt-paralelizace/)

This is definitely the way to go, in the age of
multicore-systems. Some of the patches are already included in
linux-3.5, and the rest needs to be rebased on top of it. I'd like to
try the whole series on a quadcore testing machine, but I'm not
familiar with the code in most of the patches, and only one single
wrong merge could lead to wrong conclusions.