[dm-crypt] What does it mean “not a valid LUKS device”? Can I start over and not destroy the drive?

neon_ bikini neon_bikini at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 15 18:18:18 CEST 2012

        During an upgrade from Fedora 15 to 17, I installed into an
existing LUKS encrypted partition. I'm sure I borked the boot loader
options, because the new system boots to GRUB and there is no sign of
grub.conf.

When I attempt to fix the
 problems from the boot cd and run cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda3
cryptLVM, I get “not a valid LUKS device”.

Can I simply reformat Luks? What are my concerns right now if I don't need to save data?