[dm-crypt] is backing up the master key enough for data recovery if header is destroyed?

Lara Michaels laramichaels1978 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 16:58:36 CEST 2012

>From reading the FAQ, my understanding is that in the event the header getting destroyed I need ONE of the following for data recovery to be feasible:

- header backup + one passphrase
- the master key

By "master key" I am referring to the 256 bits printed out in hexadecimal by "cryptsetup luksDump --dump-master-key [device]".

Is it correct that these 256 bits are by themselves sufficient to unlock the volume? Or would I still need the salt to be intact in the header? (My understanding from reading the FAQ is that the salt is not required if I have the master key.)

thank you

~l