[dm-crypt] Is dm-crypt LUKS FIPS 140-2 compliant

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Tue Mar 20 17:23:09 CET 2012

That is a bit difficult to answer. It seems that
LUKS is indeed FIPS 140-1 compliant. However it is
not FIPS 140-1 certified (and once a specific implementation
is, it cannot be changed anymore without losing
that certification it seems).

AFAIK there are efforts underway to get a specific
implementation (RHEL6) certified. If you go into the
mailing lost archive at
and search for "FIPS", you can find more on this question.