[dm-crypt] linux luks automatic boot with keyfile (INSECURE)

Nuno Reis nreis at wavecom.pt
Fri May 25 04:29:14 CEST 2012

Good morning.

I would like to ask you about the best choice to have one or two luks
encrypted partitions to boot automatically between reboots without me to
enter a pass-phrase.
I've made this already, but the way i'm doing it seems to be not very
secure since the keyfile is referenced in /etc/crypttab and the keyfile and
/etc/crypttab both reside on an unencrypted partition. If someone clones my
HDD and connect it to some other system will easily be able to mount the
unencrypted partitions and find the keyfile reference on /etc/crypttab to
get the keyfile and unencrypt the protected partitions right?
So basically my problem is that i want to sell a linux server with some
software i've developed to a datacenter (as an appliance), but i don't want
them to get to my software easily and i can't have a password prompt
between reboots also.
Can you point me out what you think would be the best solution for me?
Thanks.

BR,
Nuno.