[dm-crypt] Reconsidering default options for cryptsetup-reencrypt

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Fri Nov 23 10:27:42 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 10:00:47AM +0100, Milan Broz wrote:
> On 11/23/2012 07:07 AM, Arno Wagner wrote:
>
> > I think you do. I also think that HW raid is a bit exotic on Linux
> > these days, as SW RAID gives better features and often better
> > performance.
>
> If you work in enterprise environment, this is definitely not true :)

It depends. I have used a 12-way SAS RAID controller as
dumb controller with software-RAID and have gotten better
results. But that was one with Linux support that sucked.
With good Linux support, that may be entirely different.

On the exotic, I agree that in enterprise environments
HW controllers are the norm, but I think by now that is
mainly because they are simpler to use.

> And for some strange reasons, cloud environments are more
> and more popular where "elastic" storage means usually some
> virtualized HW storage array.

Ah, yes. The "cloud" stuff, where all your data turns into
hot vapor. I really do not get why people think using
even more complex environments that they do not even fully
control is a good idea when we obviously have not even mastered
simpler systems...

> Also there are SSD drives which uses internally RAID0 to speed
> up operations (in reality it is more independent SSD drives inside).

Ok, but I think _that_ does not count, unless you know of some
that expose the controller. ;-)