[dm-crypt] Basic question about LUKS/cryptsetup

Heinz Diehl htd at fancy-poultry.org
Fri Oct 19 16:16:03 CEST 2012

On 19.10.2012, Gonzalez-Garay, Manuel L wrote:

> I am using fedora 17 with LUKS but they are asking me
> for a proof that the disk has been encrypted

Maybe they will be satisfied with a copy of the output of "cryptsetup
luksDump".

> they want  a copy of the key for Filevault and Bitlocker.

You are on Linux, so you can't give them what they want. Filevault
runs on Mac and Bitlocker on Windows.

> I am not sure if there are such files in my system
> or where to look for the files.
> Can you point me to such files?.

This is not possible, since you're using LUKS/dmcrypt. Obviously the
don't expect people to run Linux, so they only ask for Mac- and
Windows-programs.

Another thing is that encryption is useless if you hand out your keys
to others..