[dm-crypt] Toggle read-only status of mapping

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 12:15:39 CEST 2012

On 10/23/2012 06:55 AM, Dennis Birkholz wrote:
> currently it is possible to create a read-only mapping, but to me it
> seems not possible to switch a rw mapping to a ro mapping or vice versa.
> I use Software-RAID5->Luks->Ext4, do switch everything to read-only I
> have to unmount, remove crypt mapping, create ro crypt mapping, mount
> ro, switch raid to ro but it would be very nice if I only can switch
> everything to ro.

Hm. What is the reason for this exercise?
Switching to read only of top layer is not enough?

Anyway, I think we can add this option to "resize" command perhaps.
(Resize reloads mapping, so it can switch read-only flag as well.)

But it can be dangerous in some situations...
(And you can do it already using dmsetup but that's quite complicated.)