[dm-crypt] Newbie question --key-file

Dennis Birkholz dm-crypt at dennis.birkholz.biz
Fri Oct 26 10:26:34 CEST 2012

Hello David,

Am 26.10.2012 04:06, schrieb Li, David:

> I am testing with a loop device /dev/loop0.  I want to use a 256-bit key
> file.
>
> First I did:
> /-bash-4.1# cryptsetup --key-file keyfile-1 luksFormat /dev/loop0/

for me your example works but I have sha256, aes and cbc loaded (which
is required as you use aes as crypto-mode, sha256 as hash and cbc as
block-mode or what ever it is called). The setup is not proper as you
see there is no key slot used.

> Question #2. I went thru FAQ and didn’t quite find an example using
> key-file to setup LUKS.  But I found this line:
>
> /cryptsetup luksOpen //--//key//-//file keyfile /////dev/////loop0 e1/
>
> what is e1 here? Can someone give an example using key-file to set up a
> LUKS partition.

e1 is the name of the crypt mapping. After opening the mapping you can
access it under /dev/mapper/e1 (e.g. to create a file system).

Greets,
Dennis