[dm-crypt] Encrypt all partitions with dm-crypt

Heinz Diehl htd at fancy-poultry.org
Sat Sep 8 10:13:38 CEST 2012

On 06.09.2012, Arno Wagner wrote:

> I was thinking about automatic swap set-up. If you do that
> with a non-random key, you have to store it somewhere and that
> will be a problem.

I created my swap partiton while installing the distribution. The
whole harddisk (laptop) is LUKS/dmcrypt encrypted. When I start up the
machine, all I have to do is to provide the proper passphrase, and all
my encrypted partitions will be unlocked, incl. swap.

As far as I can see, dracut stores the passphrase in memory, unlocks
the root-partition first, and runs the same passphrase on all the
other LUKS-devices afterwards. I can't see how this procedure could be
a problem related to swap, and why I maybe should choose a random key
over a predefined one.