[dm-crypt] No key available for this passphrase

Marcos marcos at tenak.net
Sat Sep 8 20:47:00 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 08.09.2012 14:35, Arno Wagner wrote:
> seems you have damaged the keyslot are in some way.
> (See FAQ Item 6.12) This is where a header-backup
> (See FAQ item 6.1ff) comes in, typically as the only way
> to recover.

A header-backup that I don't have, before having this
problem haven't read about such headers. The doc I read to
setup the encrypted disk didn't mention it at all. I for
sure will do a backup on my next reinstall (which I expect
to be soon if I can not recover my data :()

> Other things you can try: If you have multiple
> passphrases, try them all.

What you mean with multiple passphrases? I just remember
setting up only one.

> From what you describe, I do not see how you could have
> done damage. Have you maybe used the "encrypted partition"
> feature of Ubuntu? It has a known bug (see FAQ item 1.3)
> that makes it look like it maps LUKS partitions, but it
> really re-creates them, destroyuing the old data permanently.

I didn't use anything related with encrypted partitions from
the live USB. I totally ignore if the liveUSB did something by
itself without asking anything. So, from what I know, I did
nothing that could have messed up the headers.

> While the update is suspicuous, you being able to boot it
> once (I assume from war or cold reset) and the test with the
> other system should rule it out as root cause.

Yes, the boot I did was from a shutted down computer, no from
a suspend or hibernate.

I suspect that my data is now completely useless :(

 From what I have read, I've understood that the passphrase
unlocks the key that is used for encryption and that such
key is not derived from the passphrase at the time of setup?

Because if the key can be derived from the passphrase, knowing
the passphrase, could the key be retrieved or regenerated in
some way?

I just want to be sure that the data stored in the encrypted
volume is just rubbish before reusing the disk.

Thanks a lot,
--
Marcos
http://tenak.net/