[dm-crypt] Overwrote keyfile; Have master key; Recover data?

Zack Buhman zack at buhman.org
Fri Sep 14 02:21:17 CEST 2012

Hello,

So I was bumbling along and for some stupid reason I generated a new
keyfile (thinking I was on another machine) and ended up overwriting my
keyfile that I use on a volume that has 1.1TB data.

I was reading
https://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#6._Backup_and_Data_Recovery
section 6.10, and at the time I had the thing unlocked. So I retrieved
the master key as described in the FAQ, but then I guess I didn't read
the instructions properly, and did luksFormat with the master key file.
When I unlock that, the filesystem that's supposed to be inside doesn't
exist.

What I did: http://sprunge.us/UjBQ

I also have http://sprunge.us/bWFc from my console buffer when I was just
playing around. Is data recovery still possible?

Thank you,
Zack Buhman