[dm-crypt] Encrypt all partitions with dm-crypt

Matthew Monaco dgbaley27 at 0x01b.net
Sat Sep 15 03:09:05 CEST 2012

On 09/14/2012 06:52 PM, Stayvoid wrote:
> Arno,
>
> I'm not sure that I got the idea. How to access encrypted partitions after
> booting? And how to unmount / encrypt / temporary disable them? (I hope that
> my terminology is clear.) In other words, what's the usage pattern?

Assuming you've run luksFormat on some block device (/dev/sda2), and you're
booted into your initrd.

# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 root

will create a new block device at /dev/mapper/root.

So you've used the kernel device mapper to map one block device into another
block device. You then proceed with /dev/mapper/root as if it's another other
block device.

So you (or your distro rather) needs to do something like

# mount /dev/mapper/root /mnt
# switch_root /mnt /sbin/init

The distribution you use will affect exactly how you configure this because it's
not standard. (It'd be great if cryptsetup at least provided some sort of
reference parser for /etc/crypttab, but they feel it's out of scope, so this
standardization is being done by systemd. That said, root [and /usr] is going to
be a little different than everything else)