[dm-crypt] Migrating from loop AES to dm-crypt

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Tue Sep 18 09:16:28 CEST 2012

Nick Battle wrote:
> I've just upgraded from openSUSE 12.1 to 12.2. I find that the latest version of
> mount and losetup do not have the file encryption options they used to, since
> everyone should have migrated to dm-crypt. The trouble is, I now have some
> encrypted backup volumes that I cannot read!
>
> I used to mount the archives with:
>
> 	mount ... -o loop,phash=sha256,encryption=aes128
>
> It looks like I should be using the loopaesOpen option to cryptsetup to mount
> these now, but I cannot find a combination of options that works. I'm trying the
> following:
>
> cryptsetup loopaesOpen <device> <name> --key-file pp --key-size 128 --hash
> sha256 -c aes-cbc-plain

IIRC loopaesOpen is for the multi key mode of newer loop aes. The crypto
patches we had in openSUSE were based on a loop aes from a decade ago
which didn't do anything fancy yet. So standard 'create' should work
just fine with the parameters you figured out already. See also
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Encrypted_filesystems#aes_cryptoloop_image

cu
Ludwig

--