[dm-crypt] Encrypt all partitions with dm-crypt

Stayvoid stayvoid at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 09:13:54 CEST 2012

> So you (or your distro rather) needs to do something like
>
> # mount /dev/mapper/root /mnt
> # switch_root /mnt /sbin/init
>
> The distribution you use will affect exactly how you configure this because
> it's not standard.

It's "something completely different."
I'm using Lemote YeeLoong and PMON as a bootloader.

PMON's conf is pretty easy to understand:

title 1
kernel (wd0,0)/vmlinuz-linux-libre
initrd (wd0,0)/initramfs-linux-libre.img
args root=/dev/mapper/main console=tty no_auto_cmd

But this is not working.
It drops me to a recovery shell:

:: running early hook [udev]
:: running hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...
ERROR: device '/dev/mapper/main' not found. Skipping fsck.
ERROR: Unable to find root device '/dev/mapper/main'.
You are being dropped to a recovery shell
    Type 'exit' to try and continue booting
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
Trying to continue (this will most likely fail) ...
:: mounting '/dev/mapper/main' on real root
mount: special device /dev/mapper/main does not exist
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

Should it work this way?
Should I decrypt the main partition using the recovery shell?
(I can't access /dev/mapper from the recovery shell.)

Thanks