[dm-crypt] Does safe remove has a point on an encrypted drive?

antispam06 at sent.at antispam06 at sent.at
Sat Sep 22 22:21:37 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012, at 21:05, Claudio Moretti wrote:

  I meant if I am on full disk encryption if it's worth the extra CPU
  clocks to do a safe erase of certain files, given the data is
  already
  random looking from the outside. It wasn't about the whole drive.

The point is exactly that: your data looks random from the outside, but
not from the inside. If an attacker gets access to your running
computer or discovers your password, dm-crypt cannot protect you,
because the attacker has access to your unencrypted hard drive.

I know. I already got my answer. It was a clarification to Arno.