[dm-crypt] few questions on truecrypt and luks

.. ink .. mhogomchungu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 20:27:15 CEST 2013

> I am not criticizing TrueCrupt here, this seems to be
> the best that can be done in the given situation, but
> "the best" is not really good.

Reading back through the mailing list and on the discussion on the feature
request on the bug tracker,it seem you just dont like the idea of a hidden
volume or the idea of having a volume inside another volume.

Personally,i prefer PLAIN volumes over LUKS.An example of why is because
when you plug in a LUKS based usb encrypted device to a gnome desktop,the
desktop will give a prompt telling whoever is sitting at the desktop that
the device is encrypted with LUKS and will demand a password to unlock it.I
may not be hiding my stuff from government agencies,but i also do not like
to scream at whoever touches my stuff telling them i have encrypted data.

I dont use truecrypt volumes and i never used the hidden volume feature but
i can see its appeal,it may not be to hide super secret stuff from
governments but simply to have two volumes in one container to
"compartmentalize" sensitive data and not try to hide any of it from
authorities but from say business competitors.