[dm-crypt] not a valid LUKS device

Hugo hugo at riseup.net
Thu Apr 25 15:12:38 CEST 2013

Hi,

Recently, I was installing Ubuntu 13.10 and the installer appears to
have changed something in the first sector of my home partition as
described here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1169611

Now, when I try to open my encrypted partition I get the following error:

# sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/ubuntu/home home_crypt

Device /dev/ubuntu/home is not a valid LUKS device

I don't have a backup of my header and would like to know if I still can
have hope of recovering the luks partition or if I can re-encrypt it,
backup the header and start a new life.

What is your opinion on this?

Thanks!
Hugo