[dm-crypt] dm-crypt "inverted" usage (i.e. exporting an "encrypted" image of a block device)

Erik Logtenberg erik at logtenberg.eu
Thu Aug 1 16:46:27 CEST 2013

Maybe I also don't understand your use case well enough, but it seems to
me that using dd over ssh would kinda do the trick, right?

If you just want all your files over the network safely, use rsync over
ssh. You say that you want to retain the native features of the
filesystem itself, so as far as rsync doesn't have support for the
specific features you're talking about (snapshots for example), just use
dd to copy over the entire filesystem.

On the sending machine you use something like:
# dd if=/dev/device | ssh root at receiving_system dd of=/dev/device

Or if your sending machine doesn't have access to your receiving system,
do something like this on your receiving system instead:

# ssh root at sending_system dd if=/dev/device | dd of=/dev/device

With regards to security, you now have everything that ssh offers, and I
think most would agree that ssh is secure enough for all practical purposes.

Regards,

Erik.