[dm-crypt] Weird cryptsetup-1.6.x problem

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Aug 28 23:48:53 CEST 2013

Hi List,

After upgrading one of my systems I ran into the following rather strange
problem:

I use an initramfs which uses cryptsetup for the initial mapping, later
during boot more mappings are added.

After upgrading to a 1.6.x version of cryptsetup the system does boot
fine, with old initramfs (still holding old cryptsetup), but a new kernel
with updated cinitramfs won't boot. Unfortunately I don't have the exact
same kernel with both initramfses at hand, so the kernel was upgraded too.

cryptsetup fails and states command failed, code 22, which afaik means
invalid parameter. That could indicate that something from the kernel is
missing, but I checked back and AES, XTS, ripmed, dmcrypt target are all
in the kernel (even not modular, to ease startup).

I have no idea, what could be the problem, and the error message doesn't
really help (Bad enough, without the -v option not even an error message
is shown)

Does anyone know, what could yield a Code 22 error during luksOpen? Milan
maybe?