[dm-crypt] u?mount (8) helper script for luks encrypted disks

.. ink .. mhogomchungu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 07:58:10 CEST 2013

> On 30.8.2013 1:56, .. ink .. wrote:
>
>> On unmounting.
>> 1. Look at the path to be unmounted,if it starts with "/dev/mapper/"
>> then it could an mdraid path or a cryptsetup mapper path or
>> something else.Its easy to check which one is it.
>>

> Nope.
>
> You have /dev/VG/LV or /dev/mpath/NAME (aka friendly mpath names) etc.
> These are symlinks, or on non-udev system directly device nodes.
>
> If you want to check for dm device, you should check for major
> number of device. Ditto for MD (note md can be some fake
> raid as well as replacement for dmraid.)

checking for major:minor number does not work on devices with btrfs[1]

What i do in my project to identify lvm path is to check if the path exists
in both "/dev/abc/def" and "/dev/mapper/abd-def".formats.

mdraid paths are usually in "/dev/mdX" or "/dev/md/X" format.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/2851