[dm-crypt] cryptsetup 1.6.0 crash when attempting to open truecrypt volume if the key is large enough

.. ink .. mhogomchungu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 17:39:10 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Milan Broz <gmazyland at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/14/2013 12:44 PM, .. ink .. wrote:
> >
> > http://pastebin.com/FqxMUf8Z
> >
> > The above link has the source code of the program that show the crash.I
> have not tried that many key sizes but a key size of 5MB seem to crash
> cryptsetup
>
> Yes, there was a stupid bug.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/source/detail?r=e600024908219af09819d1a6549cad2b6813a8f0#
>
> TCRYPT passphrase is in fact limited to maximal 64 characters,
> so it fails now early if this limit is exceeded.
>
> Thanks,
> Milan

wouldnt it be better to just cut off the key at the 65th character instead
of failing out?

I did a test here.and I created a truecrypt volume with a key of 70
characters and truecrypt created the volume and could open it but
cryptsetup failed to open the volume.

truecrypt seem to handle a key with longer length and use only the length
it needs and i think cryptsetup should do the same.It will be odd to users
of cryptsetup when their passphrase works with truecrypt but fail with
cryptsetup