[dm-crypt] Memory errors and and 3TB RAID5 partition

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Wed Jan 16 13:00:26 CET 2013

On 16.01.2013 12:23, Arno Wagner wrote:
> Hi Frederico,
>
> An alternative is to verify each write. Here you have to be careful
> to empty all buffers and caches before doing it. That is what I
> do for large files.

My M.O. is to make MD5(*) sums of just about every file. So after i move
files around, i just verify the MD5 sums. The amount of data moved is
usually (a lot) bigger than available RAM, so i usually forgo clearing
the cache, otherwise i do a umount/mount-cycle before verifying the MD5
sums.

I'm doing this since a few years ago when i had trouble with a
particular USB2<->Sata chip that had a rare tendency to corrupt a
specific bit-pattern every now and then. Since then i had never any
trouble with data-corruption.

*:
This case doesn't concern security, so MD5 is "good enough".

--

Matthias