[dm-crypt] migrate luks key-slots to another luks container

Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth leo at strike.wu.ac.at
Wed Jan 16 21:51:36 CET 2013

Am 16.01.2013 21:14, schrieb Arno Wagner:
> Any reason why you want to change the cipher? After all, you can
> not enlarge the key and keep the keyslots.
>
> As to size, just enlarge the partition. Offset, I don't know,
> but if you do not need to keep any data, just changing the
> repective fiels in the header should do it. But is there really
> any reason to change the offset?

The motivation behind this is because I'd like to migrate the data to
another system using a different raid layout.
To ensure correct data alignment with the new stripe size, I need to
change the payload-offset using --align-payload.
Besides, I'd like to change cipher from aes-cbc-essiv:sha256 to
aes-xts-plain. (Key size is 256 bit on both.)

The source system is currently mounted, so my plan is to create a new
luks container (preferrably using the same keyslots) and then just rsync
the data.

Cheers,
--leo