[dm-crypt] Tcrypt hidden volume

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 07:29:55 CEST 2013

On 2.7.2013 3:25, Arno Wagner wrote:
> I just saw that there is a way in TrueCrypt to protect
> the hiden volume:
> http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/hidden-volume-protection
>
> Not that this is really better, as it will leave filesystem
> annomalies and possible error messages that indicate the
> presence of a hidden volume.

I think you cannot use hidden protection for other filesystem
(outer) than VFAT reliably (e.g. superblock backups are in hidden
disk area).

Cryptsetup TCRYPT support was meant to provide tool to be able
to fully access data on TrueCrypt volume, with source code under
clear common licence (GPL/LGPL).
I do not think we should provide every feature they provides
- if you need that, just install and use Truecrypt.