[dm-crypt] Tcrypt hidden volume

Justin Tracey j2tracey at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 11:45:36 CEST 2013

On 07/01/2013 06:25 PM, Arno Wagner wrote:
> I just saw that there is a way in TrueCrypt to protect
> the hiden volume:
> http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/hidden-volume-protection
>
> Not that this is really better, as it will leave filesystem
> annomalies and possible error messages that indicate the
> presence of a hidden volume. The TrueCrypt documentation
> claims as they make both volumes read-only immediately
> after a write that would have damaged the hidden volume,
> they preserve plausible deniability. I seriously doubt
> the validity of that. Looks more like their will
> be truncated files and metadata that indicates a
> setting to read-only. If, for example, the disk this is
> on has no CRC or other errors in its SMART log, then
> a device suddenly set read-only is not plausible.
>
> Added a warning about this as well in the man-page.
>
> Arno
Maybe this is a bit nit-picky, but as is I think the man entry goes too
into too much detail as to why and doesn't make clear enough as to what
is going to happen. IMO, it should just clearly state something to the
effect of "There is no protection of hidden volumes. If you mount a
TrueCrypt outer volume and write to it, expect data in the hidden volume
to be lost." and maybe a brief blurb about how the secrecy of hidden
volumes is questionable. The rest of the information can go into the FAQ
or somewhere.

  - Justin