[dm-crypt] Alternate KDFs (Key Derivation Functions) in cryptsetup

Mike mwra.mwra at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 01:47:24 CEST 2013

Hi,

I started some work on adding changes to the cryptsetup code to allow for
the use of different KDFs during key derivation, as it's a feature I
believe would be useful. I was thinking of adding both bcrypt and scrypt as
available alternative KDFs that the user may choose from.  As I didn't wish
to alter the current header structure, if there's a different KDF used
during format, that KDF would have to be specified during volume open, as
well any other relevant operations.

If I created a patch for all the changes and submitted them for review,
would there be an interest in incorporating them into the main cryptsetup
branch? I've already incorporated the scrypt reference implementation into
the cryptsetup codebase and confirmed that the official test vectors match
the output. I would also be interested in helping out with any other
updates that might need to be made.

Thanks for your time,
Mike