[dm-crypt] Authenticated Encryption for dm-crypt

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Tue May 21 01:41:22 CEST 2013

I am not really sure what you mean.

Per-sector authenticatipn is infeasible as it requires
additional space. This is not communication encryption
where attaching a few bytes is possible. This is disk
encryption where 512 encrypted bytes have to fit exactly
into 512 bytes of space.

Do you mean the header should authenticate itself to the
user in decryption? That would only make sense if a
malicious disk encryption system is assumed and would
have to be done before the passphrase is given. The
attacker model would be something like disk-impersonation
gere or a cryptsetup or kernel that tries to steal the
passphrase.

Arno