[dm-crypt] Virtual Keyboard For Boot

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Sat May 25 18:20:24 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 03:08:50PM -0500, Jonathan Brown wrote:
> 1) I just found this program and it looks more promising than truecrypt.
> Since an easy way to bypass this would be a physical keylogger and/or
> recording the audio of they keyboard typing. Is there any virtual keyboards
> that can be used with this for full disk encryption?

That us nit a LUKS question. What you are asking is whether
there are any virtual keyboards that can be used in an
initrd. I have no idea whether there are.
You could also build your own: cryptsetup can be fed from
STDIN.

> 2) Is there any application that can randomize the values of the keyboard
> and show the new values on screen? Example show entire keyboard on screen
> and for example A when typed would now equal T? if it randomized each time
> that would rule out those attacks assuming your threat model was not
> capturing video as well.

That would be the same question and anzwer as above.

> Is there such an application that can do the above? Thank you

Again, no idea. However when you suspect you have been bugged,
you should also take into account cameras and TEMPEST. Then
this fails.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it
so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to
make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first
method is far more difficult.  --Tony Hoare