[dm-crypt] Cryptsetup using loop device makes it stop

Clément Hertling (Wxcafé) wxcafe at wxcafe.net
Mon May 27 08:11:03 CEST 2013

Hi, i'm trying to use cryptsetup to create an encrypted image file.
So i luksFormat-ed it on my server, everything went fine, and on that
server i can mount it without a problem.
But on my laptop (same distro, different kernel), there's something that
doesn't work. Here's the output i get

$ sudo cryptsetup luksOpen crypto.img crypto --debug

# cryptsetup 1.4.3 processing "cryptsetup luksOpen crypto.img crypto --debug"
# Running command luksOpen.
# Locking memory.
# Allocating crypt device crypto.img context.
# Not a block device, using free loop device /dev/loop0.
# Trying to open and read device /dev/loop0.
Cannot read device /dev/loop0.
# Unlocking memory.
Command failed with code 15: Block device required

And these are some command i tried to fix the problem :

$ sudo losetup -f
/dev/loop0
$ sudo ls -lh /dev/loop0
brw-rw---T 1 root disk 7, 0 May 27 08:00 /dev/loop0
$ sudo losetup -d /dev/loop0
loop: can't delete device /dev/loop0: No such device or address

I know this might not be the best place to ask, because this looks like
it's more of a kernel or loopdev problem, but i don't really know where
to address this question, so I'm sending this there in hope you'll be
able to help.
Thanks for your awesome work anyway, and thanks for your possible help.

--

Clément Hertling (Wxcafe)