[dm-crypt] cryptsetup remove

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 09:45:05 CET 2013

On 30.10.2013 20:20, shyam prasad wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using cryptsetup-1.2 without luks and I have noticed that while
> removing the mapped device using 'cryptsetup remove', cryptsetup does
> a read operation. I have found that this is not true in
> cryptsetup-1.5.1. Is this a side effect of a change or was this
> explicitly modified. If it was intentional, could someone point me to
> the patch.

Can you be more specific? Which read operation, how did you see it
- strace? And what's the real problem?

I do not see any explicit read for removal of plain device.

Note that a lot of scanning can happen through udev rules when some device
is created, modified (it scans device after close for write) etc.