[dm-crypt] Forgot dm-crypt password; suggestions on steps to undertake

John Thoe johnthoe at outlook.com
Sun Nov 10 01:15:25 CET 2013

> If you are missing 6 characters, with a standard alphabeth of, say,
> 2x26 chars + 10 digits and 20 special symbols, that would take
> about 300'000'000 tries. As this is plain dm-crypt, a try does
> not take about 1 second but signigicantly less (no iterated
> hashing). No idea how fast this really is, but if programmed right,
> it may be doable in a few days of trying. Of course, you also have
> to recognize when you have the right password, which depends on
> what is in there. "blkid" may help to recognize a filesystem,
> but again I have no idea how fast it is.

Sorry it was actually dm-crypt with LUKS. I just checked and had no idea before.

I have generated the possible permutation list. Wouldn't it make sense to just brute force LUKS with the 100,000 possible combinations or is that a bad idea?

Sorry, I am trying to understand if it is possible to do this or I should just give up hope.