[dm-crypt] Forgot dm-crypt password; suggestions on steps to undertake

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 02:03:42 CET 2013

On 11/10/2013 01:15 AM, John Thoe wrote:
> I have generated the possible permutation list. Wouldn't it make
> sense to just brute force LUKS with the 100,000 possible combinations
> or is that a bad idea?

You can try it with some parallel runs...

There is an example in cryptsetup source which tries passphrases from file
and also supports parallel search on multi core CPUs.
You can also split generated file and start part of search on another machine
(you need to copy LUKS header - first 4MB of the disk shoud be enough
or better you can use luksBackup).

Download source or see
http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/source/browse/#git%2Fmisc%2Fdict_search
(try it on some example first if it works for you, it was just quick example,
of libcryptsetup use and not much tested ... and read README)