[dm-crypt] Forgot dm-crypt password; suggestions on steps to undertake

John Thoe johnthoe at outlook.com
Mon Nov 11 03:25:30 CET 2013

Hello Arno and Milan
Thanks very much for your replies. I was not successful in retrieving the passphrase but it was a good learning experience.
A question about LUKS I have is that I travel a lot and sometimes have to leave my laptop unattended and I put it to sleep or lock it. Is it possible for an attacker to retrieve the keys while the laptop is in that state. My question is that should I always shutdown the laptop to be safe or is it fine to leave it locked or in sleep mode? Can the keys be recovered from memory?