[dm-crypt] System hang during mkfs

Tim tim-debian at sentinelchicken.org
Thu Nov 14 22:29:56 CET 2013

Hello,

I have run into a serious issue (system hang) while trying to create a
luks-based loopback disk.  I have reported this issue to Debian here:

That should have most of the technical details you need to start.  I
suspect the behavior I'm seeing is very similar to this:
  http://www.saout.de/pipermail/dm-crypt/2012-July/002544.html

I am now running memtester on most of my VM's available memory and it
is now on loop #3 with no issues identified.

I'm really surprised to run across an issue like this under a stable
kernel, so any advice you could give on how to further debug this
would be greatly appreciated.

tim