[dm-crypt] Cascading two plain dm-crypt volumes

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Fri Nov 29 02:03:53 CET 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 01:49:57 CET, anderson jackson wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 01:32:51 +0100 Arno Wagner <arno at wagner.name> wrote
>
> > If I understood this right, it is plain(luks(data))
>
> No actually I meant plain(plain(data)). Therefore you won't see the luks
> header when the attacker finds the correct pass but just random data.

That is not really more secure than just plain with the two
passphrases concatenated (as long as the entropy does not
exceed the key length). No reason to do this, except if you
mistrust the ciphers and want to use two different ones.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it
so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to
make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first
method is far more difficult.  --Tony Hoare