[dm-crypt] LUKS and backdoors

.. ink .. mhogomchungu at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 07:52:23 CEST 2013

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Christoph Anton Mitterer <
calestyo at scientia.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-10-19 at 22:09 -0400, .. ink .. wrote:
> > A scenario i had in mind is something like a hard drive manufacture
> > selling a LUKS based encrypted solution.
> Well I guess the same applies...
> If you have fears that any "minor" manufacturer wants to attack you (or
> does so for others),... simply don't use their black box hardware...
> cause even if it uses cryptsetup you don't really now how they changed
> it,... the could again write just plain data, or use their own master
> key.

About a week ago,i read of a report about a discovered backdoor in a
consumer grade internet facing home routers[1].Some of these backdoors are
put in place by "major" manufacturers not for malicious intent but simply
from a wish to better offer efficient customer support for their products.

I raised the question not out of fear of anything or spreading FUD on
truecrypt but out of seeking a better understanding of how LUKS header in
particular and header using encrypted volumes in general are created and
managed and if they could be used to manage a backdoor of some sort.

[1] http://it.slashdot.org/story/13/10/14/0120221/