[dm-crypt] cryptsetup creates 1.8 Gb when it should be 1Tb

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 08:39:46 CET 2013

On 28.10.2013 3:05, metageek wrote:

> Then I went on to create the LUKS encryption:
>
> cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sdb1
>
> then open it:
>
> cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb1 pjhomecrypt
>
> now using status to see its properties:
>
> cryptsetup -v status pjhomecrypt
> /dev/mapper/pjhomecrypt is active.
>    type:    LUKS1
>    cipher:  aes-cbc-essiv:sha256
>    keysize: 256 bits

>    device:  /dev/loop0
>    loop:    /dev/sdb1

^^^^ Why it is mapped through loop device?

Ensure that /dev/sdb1 is BLOCK device.

It seems to me that it is in fact just file created by mistake in /dev ...
(Then limited by tmpfs size to half of memory or so and explains strange size.)

Also use lsblk to verify real kernel sizes
(sometimes kernel see old partition size)