[dm-crypt] Truecrypt and cryptdisks_start: failing with CRYPTTAB_OPTION_tcrypt-system: bad variable name

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 08:05:16 CEST 2013

On 11.9.2013 2:00, Claudio Moretti wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have recently (aka today) encrypted my Windows system partition
> with Truecrypt. My system is booting fine (both Windows and Debian
> sid), but I have the necessity of mounting the Windows partition when
> booting Debian (all my files are there).
>
> I found out that with a simple entry in /etc/crypttab this should be
> easily done, but when I tried it, I got the following error:
>
> [....] Starting crypto disk.../usr/sbin/cryptdisks_start: 1: export:
> CRYPTTAB_OPTION_tcrypt-system: bad variable name
>

> I thought it was a bad-something happening with the Debian version of
> cryptsetup (2:1.6.1-1), so I downloaded and compiled the 1.7.0-git
> version and tried to use it. The same error occurs

No, the cryptsetup binary version is fine. If you have system disk encryption,
you need 1.6.2 with fixes but otherwise the support is in 1.6.1 already.

What is missing is Debian init scripts/systemd/cryptsetup scripts  support
for new crypttab keyword.

Parsing of crypttab is not part of upstream cryptsetup so this report should
go into Debian bugzilla.

But if you are able to use systemd 206 as service manager, it should work
by default...