[dm-crypt] Truecrypt and cryptdisks_start: failing with CRYPTTAB_OPTION_tcrypt-system: bad variable name

Claudio Moretti flyingstar16 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 14:33:11 CEST 2013

Thanks everyone for the answers!

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 2:16 AM, .. ink .. <mhogomchungu at gmail.com> wrote:

> tcrypt options to "/etc/crypttab" were added a few months ago to support
> systemd somewhere.
>
> Probably the crypttab errors you are getting are due to the support not
> being there in debian yet.
>
> Will appreciate if you could do me a favor,i have a project at[1] .It does
> support opening truecrypt system volume but i have not tested the
> functionality because i have no system volume to test.
>
> If it works,you could use the project to open your truecrypt system and
> other encrypted volumes you may have the project support.
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/zulucrypt/

 I don't think that's the problem: I can open the volume when I'm logged in
(as a matter of fact, it's open right now) so cryptsetup it's working; it's
the boot script (cryptdisks_start) that's failing.. Can zulucrypt modify
that?

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Arno Wagner <arno at wagner.name> wrote:

> I suspect the problem is that sid uses systemd-44 while freedesktop has
> version 206 as newest (44 being "stable" and "206" development?),
> and the man-page for crypttab likely references the development
> version. As that was made, cryptsetup could not yet (I think)
> handle tcrypt volumes.

I suspected that as well (after googling a lot) but I'm not sure: I don't
have systemd, at least not the whole package.. I only have a library but,
as you suggested, is the "44" and not the "204".. I tried installing that,
but nothing changed...

claudio at Chuck:~$ dpkg -l|grep systemd
> ii  libsystemd-login0:amd64
> 204-2+b1                           amd64        systemd login utility
> library
> claudio at Chuck:~$ apt-cache policy libsystemd-login0
> libsystemd-login0:
>   Installed: 204-2+b1
>   Candidate: 44-12+b1
>   Version table:
>  *** 204-2+b1 0
>         600 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      44-12+b1 0
>        1001 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
>

> Your workaround looks good to me. You could also make a proper
> boot script, with the dependency-headers, it is not that hard.

I should have thought about that...

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Milan Broz <gmazyland at gmail.com> wrote:

> No, the cryptsetup binary version is fine. If you have system disk
> encryption,
> you need 1.6.2 with fixes but otherwise the support is in 1.6.1 already.
>
> What is missing is Debian init scripts/systemd/cryptsetup scripts  support
> for new crypttab keyword.
>
> Parsing of crypttab is not part of upstream cryptsetup so this report
> should
> go into Debian bugzilla.
>
> But if you are able to use systemd 206 as service manager, it should work
> by default...

Should I install systemd, then? AFAIK[1] there are some problems with
systemd running at boot time (replacing sysvinit); I'm not sure it'll work
without it and I'm kind of afraid I'm going to blow everything up..
Also, if it's not systemd, who is controlling it? initramfs?

BTW, the workaround is not working: for some reason, this happens :/

root at Chuck:/home/claudio# cat /etc/tcrypt.key | cryptsetup tcryptOpen
> --tcrypt-system /dev/sda truecrypt
> Cannot use device /dev/sda which is in use (already mapped or mounted).

Thanks,

Claudio

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Known_Issues_and_Workarounds