[dm-crypt] Truecrypt and cryptdisks_start: failing with CRYPTTAB_OPTION_tcrypt-system: bad variable name

.. ink .. mhogomchungu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 22:10:16 CEST 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Claudio Moretti <flyingstar16 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM, .. ink .. <mhogomchungu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >I don't think that's the problem: I can open the volume when I'm logged
>> in (as a matter of fact, it's open right now) so cryptsetup >it's working;
>> it's the boot script (cryptdisks_start) that's failing.. Can zulucrypt
>> modify that?
>>
>> No,it can not,zuluCrypt is a desktop GUI application not designed to be
>> used from root account or as part of boot up process.
>>
>> You have a truecrypt volume and you want a convenient way to unlock it.
>> You dont seem to have the necessary systemd support to do that and you
>> seem uncomfortable to roll your own solution and hence i suggest zuluCrypt
>> as an alternative convenient solution.I think it is a better alternative
>> since with a GUI application,you will get to unlock the volume when you
>> need access to it and then lock it when done with it.
>>

> My concerns with switching to zulucrypt are mostly two, at the moment: (1)
> since it appears to me as a GUI interface for cryptsetup, it doesn't seem
> to fit my current need and (2) even if it can help me (by, for example,
> providing a CLI which I can trigger from rc.local or some other script at
> logon), it has no permissions to mount a device in /media/ (because, as you
> said, it does not require administrative privileges), nor can 'mount -o
> bind' the folders I'm mounting in my home.
>
> If there's anything I missed, or a way to do what I'm trying to do using
> zulucrypt, I'm open to any suggestions, and I'll be willing to try them. My
> goal is to reach what I had when my Windows disk was unencrypted.

zulucrypt has a GUI component and a CLI component.The CLI component is an
suid programs and thats how it work from normal user accounts without
necessitating the user elevating its permissions since it can do that by
itself.It mounts unlocked volumes in "/run/media/private/$USER"

zuluMount will also allow you to unlock and mount the volume at
"/run/media/private/$USER" but it has an option to also create a "public
mirror" of the private mount point at "/run/media/public".Useful for multi
user access to the volume.

like others have said,if you want to go with system tools,you will have to
file a bug report with debian to ask them to add truecrypt
support."/etc/crypttab" is not part of cryptsetup project and hence its
abilities and deficiencies are outside the scope of this project.

zulucrypt is also not part of cryptsetup project.Hope nobody minded i
mentioned it

your own solution should work if you use at leave version 1.6.2 of
cryptsetup.the tricky part will be how to tear down everything when you are
powering down.