[dm-crypt] luks header on initramfs img

Henrique Abreu hgabreu at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 03:09:34 CEST 2014

I use to have a setup with luks header on a separate file, as describe here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Specialties#Encrypted_system_using_a_remote_LUKS_header

But since update from 1.6.4 to 1.6.5 it doesn't work anymore. It just keeps
asking for the passphrase on and on without any error messages.

I noticed that, if I mount a usb drive and move the header from memory to
the drive, then attempt to open again with the exact same command (below)
it works:
# cryptsetup open --header header.img --type luks /dev/sda4 lvm

So, the difference is just where the header.img file is placed. For now, I
have downgraded back to 1.6.4 to keep my boot setup simpler.
I rather use the header image inside initramfs if possible instead of
having to mount a usb at boot just to read the header.

Does anyone know if that's intended for not working anymore or if it's a
bug?

Thanks,

Henrique Abreu