[dm-crypt] Can't access a LUKS encrypted partition

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Mon Aug 11 19:45:35 CEST 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 17:29:25 CEST, jeff.esquivel at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Arno,
>

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 4:07 AM, Arno Wagner <arno at wagner.name> wrote:
>
> > Most likely scenario: Something else changed in the password-input
> > chain. Do you have any non-ISO-7bit chars in your passphrase? These
> > will change their binary value when going to Unicode. You
> > mau also have characters switched because of a keyboard-layout
> > issue.
> >

> Sorry, I forgot to add that to my first e-mail, my password is made up of
> only non-ISO-7bit ASCII characters (as checked on this table:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII#ASCII_printable_code_chart) and since I
> installed this OS (which was about a couple weeks before getting the new
> hard disk) I've only had two layouts on it: US and US International. Is
> copy+paste the passphrase from a text editor a good way to avoid both of
> these issues or would that fail too?

I think there is a misunderstanding here:
   ISO-7bit = original 7 bit ASCII.

Do you only have chars from the table you link? If so, you have only
ISO-7bit chars. As the US-international layout has only ISO-7bit
chars on it, inputting anything else would be pretty difficult with
that layout.

As to text-editor: That has the same issues, except for the
keyboard layout.

(If you do not use any of the original ASCII/ISO-7bit chars,
I would be curious how you enter them with an US keyboard.
Windows-key remapped to compose?)

I still suspect you switched locales at some point or there
is a dropped line-ending or something like that. Did you
use cryptsetup directly before and after it stopped working?
Same shell? Tried to switch y and z? Some capitalization-error?

A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. -  Plato