[dm-crypt] "not a valid LUKS device" after distro change

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Wed Aug 20 11:09:56 CEST 2014

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 00:22:29 CEST, John Wells wrote:
> Thanks for your response. This is the result of luksDump on the container:
>
> # cryptsetup luksDump /dev/FINALFRONTIER_VG/HOME_LV
> Device /dev/FINALFRONTIER_VG/HOME_LV is not a valid LUKS device.

Ah, sorry. Did not see that access completely failed.
That means the header was at least partially overwritten.

Can you post or send me a hex-dump of the first 1024 bytes
of this device and the other one?

Command to do so is, e.g.

  head -c 1024 /dev/FINALFRONTIER_VG/HOME_LV | hd

This will not compromise your security.

> I will try to find the time to recreate the entire scenario. Do you think
> the current container I'm able to open is at risk of corruption as well?

Yes. Something seems to be running amok.

Another queston: After Fedora 20 told you both were not
valid LUKS devices, could you still open the one in Ubuntu
that you could open before?

A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. -  Plato