[dm-crypt] Impossible task ?

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Tue Dec 16 16:58:50 CET 2014

Hi,

not really a topic for this list, but I will answer anyways.

No, you cannot do this. Proof idea: If you can do lookup,
you can break the encryption by checking whether a person is
in there via the lookup functionality.

Sure, if you only allow proper partial names, the attacker
does not get the last character of the name, but that does
not help much. There are not enough names in the world to
make this attack too costly, and the attacker can do it
character-by-character by using longer and longer partial
names.

The thing is that the possibility of lookup directly
implies the data is _not_ protected against reading it.

Gr"usse,
Arno