[dm-crypt] cryptsetup luksFormat with the size option

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Sat Feb 1 22:34:44 CET 2014

On Sat, Feb 01, 2014 at 21:50:19 CET, Matthew Thode wrote:
> Am I correct in stating that setting --size=8 will make the sectors 4k
> in size?  Also, how can I check what existing luks volumes are set to?
>
> --
> -- Matthew Thode

No, you are not. As the man-page clearly states, this sets the
size of the underlying device as multiple of 512B sectors.

As item 2.17 of the FAQ states, LUKS does not have any issue
with 4k sectors, as it does not split or re-arrange requests.

I would strongly advise to read the documentation before
trying to set up a LUKS volume. There are a number of less
obvious pitfalls.

A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. -  Plato