[dm-crypt] Boot Prompt Text

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Mon Feb 17 15:39:01 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 14:19:31 CET, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 17.02.2014 14:04, schrieb Arno Wagner:
> > On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 12:28:13 CET, Andrew Dunn wrote:
> >> Is it possible to change the boot prompt text?
> >>
> >> Currently, my system boots and since I'm running nvidia bin graphics
> >> with nomodeset I get the text prompt for full disk encryption. It
> >> displays something like "Please Enter the password for <UUID>:
> >>
> >> I would like if I could have the prompt have no text at all. Just a
> >> blinking cursor.
> >>
> >> If it makes any difference, I'm on Fedora 20.
> >
> > Then you should talk to the Fedora 20 people. This prompt is their
> > doing...
>
> Actually, it's systemd's doing:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/cryptsetup/cryptsetup.c#n266

Ah, that evil monster. For that I would say those that
use systemd shall suffer from the complexity they chose.
That this is in a c-file, not an easily changed shell-
skript, already explains quite a bit of what is wrong
with systemd.

So fixing this goes something like this:
 - create a patch for the c-code
 - recompile and reinstall systemd
 - and maintain your patch forever

Pity. With a sane init system, it would just be a change to
some shell-skript, i.e. 2 minutes with a text editor.

A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. -  Plato