[dm-crypt] cryptsetup without sudo

.. ink .. mhogomchungu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 22:17:58 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Henry Jenkins <henry at henryjenkins.name>wrote:

> Is there some method using Ubuntu to set up a luks drive without root/sudo
> access from the cli?
>
> Currently I can use either `sudo cryptsetup luksOpen <drive> <name>` then
> udisks or I can use gnome-disks to which does not requite sudo. So I'm
> assuming there is a existing application that does not require using sudo
> or the use of a GUI.
>
> Motive - mounting a usb key without requiring elevated privs.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Henry Jenkins

Your statements are a bit ambiguous to me.

you want to unlock a LUKS volumes without using sudo or manually elevate
privileges.This part is clear,the part that is not is if you want this
functionality from CLI or from GUI.

If you want to unlock the volume on the CLI without manually elevating,just
call udisks CLI from the terminal with the LUKS device and udisks will
unlock it for you and mount it.

If you want to unlock the volume from the GUI without manually
elevating,you can use gnome-disks directly to access the device and
gnome-disks will unlock it for you and mount it.

If you want to unlock the volume from another GUI,your file manager should
also be able to unlock it,just look for the device entry somewhere on the
device panel on the file manager,click the drive and the file manager will
unlock it for you and mount it.

udisks and a few of its GUI front ends should allow you to do what you want
without you manually elevating privileges.