[dm-crypt] cryptsetup without sudo

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 25 17:05:38 CET 2014

Am 24.02.2014 21:29, schrieb Henry Jenkins:
> Is there some method using Ubuntu to set up a luks drive without
> root/sudo access from the cli?
>
> Currently I can use either `sudo cryptsetup luksOpen <drive> <name>`
> then udisks or I can use gnome-disks to which does not requite sudo. So
> I'm assuming there is a existing application that does not require using
> sudo or the use of a GUI.
>
> Motive - mounting a usb key without requiring elevated privs.

Assuming you have udisks2, this shouldn't be a problem:

$ udisksctl
Usage:
  udisksctl [OPTION...] COMMAND

Commands:
  help            Shows this information
  info            Shows information about an object
  dump            Shows information about all objects
  status          Shows high-level status
  monitor         Monitor changes to objects
  mount           Mount a filesystem
  unmount         Unmount a filesystem
  unlock          Unlock an encrypted device
  lock            Lock an encrypted device
  loop-setup      Set-up a loop device
  loop-delete     Delete a loop device
  power-off       Safely power off a drive
  smart-simulate  Set SMART data for a drive

Use "udisksctl COMMAND --help" to get help on each command.

The 'unlock' command seems useful to you.